This assignment will assess the following competency:
4. Critique criminal justice management and the impact of the court system on decision making.
Read the scenario and questions below and write a 3-4 page (750-1000 words) essay answering the questions. The assignment should be submitted using Microsoft Word with default margins, using 12 point Times New Roman black font, double spacing, and APA format. Please visit the NAU Online Library’s Research and Writing page for help with APA format, or view the APA tutorial video.
You are the elected Sheriff for a county that encompasses a major metropolitan area. There has been an unfortunate series, in the past year, of officer-involved shootings where some citizens and the media claim that the officers murdered the suspects (now deceased) in cold blood. This led to a few protests that were peaceful and a few that turned to violence and looting.
This is only the start of your management troubles! The state supreme court ruled (a few weeks ago) that the conditions in your county prison are unhealthy and unsafe. The court ordered the release of 5,000 inmates to reduce the overcrowding problem that led to the unsafe and unhealthy conditions.
Finally, the Public Defender’s office has been forced to furlough attorneys, and freeze hiring, due to the financial impact (on the budget) of the recent national financial collapse. Each Public Defender has an average of 594 cases. The Public Defender has now refused to provide services to those arrested of third-degree felonies claiming that ‘adequate representation cannot be provided to the qualified indigent when my attorneys are so overly-burdened’.
* Refer to Chapter 6 in the class text.
- Distinguish the differences among short-range, intermediate, and long-range planning.
- Create a short-range, intermediate, or long-term plan to resolve the officer-involved shooting issue.
- Create a short-range, intermediate, or long-term plan to resolve the prison overcrowding issue.
- Create a short-range, intermediate, or long-term plan to resolve the Public Defender’s office issue.
* Include at least three academic or professional sources to support your work. APA citations need to be included both in-text and in a separate reference page.