Directions: Please read the directions carefully, this is due within 30 hours!
Having a historical perspective of the laws, judicial decisions, policies, and guidelines that have shaped English language instruction policy, enables teachers of English language learners (ELLs) to understand the program model in which they operate.
Based on major court cases and legislation pertaining to ELLs, create a brochure, newsletter, or Glogster to be used to inform parents of ELLs about legislative events that have affected English language instruction in Arizona.
Part 1 of your submission should include a brief description for each of the following:
· At least two of the following major court cases pertaining to ELLs: Lau v. Nichols, Castaneda v. Pickard, Flores v. Arizona, or Plyler v. Doe.
· At least two of the following federal laws or mandates that have affected education for ELLs: Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), Title III, Title VI, or a resolution from the Office for Civil Rights/Department of Justice.
· At least two of the following Arizona laws or policies that have directly affected the ELL program model: Proposition 203, House Bill 2010, House Bill 2064, and Move On When Reading.
With the submission of Part 1, write a 500-750 word description of the ELLs and program model in Arizona.
Part 2 of your submission should include:
· A brief explanation of the demographic composition of the PK-12 ELL population in Arizona.
· An explanation of the process of determining ELL program eligibility, including the use of the Home Language Survey and the Arizona English Language Learner Assessment (AZELLA) for placement and reassessment.
· A description of the standard accommodations available to ELLs for assessment.
· A description of the characteristics of the English immersion program model in Arizona in terms of time allocations, grouping of ELLs with native speakers, use of ELLs’ native language, and integration of English within academic content.
· A statement regarding the differences between Structured English Immersion classrooms, bilingual classrooms, and Individual Language Learner Plans and how they relate to current societal trends and issues in the education of ELLs.
Support this assignment with at least three resources.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using the documentation guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance