Choose any of the childhood or adolescent disorders covered in the assigned readings in this unit except bipolar disorder. Discover and review sources of information on the disorder. Then respond to these topics:
- Debate the pros and cons of a current issue or controversy related to the diagnosis (not treatment) of this disorder. Be sure to consider the cultural and ethnic aspects and impact of the diagnosis.
- Present your arguments for the components of a state-of-the-art assessment that are needed to properly diagnose this disorder in children and adolescents. Be sure to consider:
- Diagnostic ethical issues.
- Sensitivity to diversity.
- Etiological issues.
In recent years, there have been heated controversies about attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Perhaps the most heated current controversy involves the diagnosis of bipolar disorder in children and adolescents.
- Identify and summarize two articles on this controversy, and outline the primary points of disagreement.
- Take a position on the controversy and justify it.
- Is this a condition that has been improperly under-diagnosed in minors, or are proponents over-diagnosing bipolar disorder in difficult minors?
- Support your arguments with appropriate citations.