- Describe value-added models (VAMs) and discuss the costs and benefits of using them to measure teacher impact on student performance?
- What are some alternative approaches to using VAMs and how can they be effectively employed?
- How are teachers evaluated in your district (or a district you know well)? To what extent does the evaluation system in this district seem effective to you?
- What are the best indicators of teacher effectiveness in your experience? How can these indicators be measured?
- Other than teacher effectiveness, what influences student achievement? To what extent can these influences be accounted for so that teacher effectiveness is measurable?
- Why might teacher effectiveness differ from class to class as well as from year to year or from test to test?
- What kind of performance assessments could teachers use to document their effectiveness? How would these be “scored”?
- What might be the role of a coach or mentor in terms of a teacher evaluation system? What might be the role of professional development?
Please cite article and textbook if its used. ch 1, 2 and 3
Evaluating teacher evaluationDarling-Hammond, L., Amrein-Beardsley, A., Haertel, E., & Rothstein, J. (2012). Evaluating teacher evaluation. Phi Delta Kappan, 93(6), 8-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/003172171209300603